Sunday, June 23, 2013

Two DIY's in one!


Hey guys! I decided to do a spur of the moment DIY! I think I'm gonna wear this on 4th of July with my new shorts I made. It's super easy and cute and if you are interested, keep scrolling!


First start off with a shirt. It doesn't have to be plain but if you want to put a pocket on it, it should be plain or have a simple print. I got this one at Micheal's but you can get them anywhere. I wish mine was larger because then the tank top will be looser but I'm working with what I have. 




Now you fold your shirt in half and cut off the sleeves. Make sure you cut off  the seams. Now this part you can be as creative as you want, I only cut off a little past the arm pit because I like it like that. I've seen a lot of tank tops that go down really far, and while I  think they're very cute, I can't pull them off but you do what you like! It also doesn't have to be perfect because it's supposed to look kinda messy. You can also cut off the bottom of your shirt as well like I did. 


Now this part is optional. At first I wasn't going to cut off the neck but I tried it on and it look really weird on me so I decided to cut it off and I liked it a lot better. So this part is also up to you. 


So ta-da! You have completed your tank top! You can always stop here but I wanted to add an adorable pocket because I thought it looked too plain.


To make a pocket you will need:

- Scissors
- Some kind of glue. I'm using E6000 because it's heavy duty but you can use hot glue if you like. I got this glue at Micheal's but I know you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot or any hardware store.
- Fabric of your choosing.
- A pocket pattern on heavy paper. 



Now you just lay your pattern on the fabric (make sure the fabric is facing down) and cut around the pocket. Make sure there is a couple inches of fabric around the pattern because we will be gluing that down. 


Now all you have to do is fold down the fabric tightly so it looks like a pocket. It does not have  to be neat at all because it going right on the shirt. As you can see, mine is very messy. 


Now turn it around to check if it resembles a pocket. Sometimes you may have to pull the fabric tighter around the paper. How cute is this fabric though?! 


Now you just have to figure out where you want your pocket. It can go anywhere you want it to!


I'm going to be gluing my pocket on but you can sew it if you like. So I'm just putting the glue all over the back of the pocket. 


I'm just firmly pressing down the pocket to make sure it stays. You may want to leave it alone for a bit so it dries. 


You've finished your pocket tank top! 




Here is a few of in the tank top! Excuse the camera selfie, I didn't have anyone to take my pictures for me. I hope you all enjoyed this! I'll probably be making more of these in the near future. I hope you all have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment