Monday, April 29, 2013

How to deal with stress and anxiety


This is a topic I am very familar with. I deal with stress and anxiety every day. I know I'm not the only one who deal with this, especially if you're a college student. But even if you aren't going to school, stress and anxiety will find a way to creep up on you when you least expect it. These are the ways that I deal with it and help me relax.


Meditate
Basically this is just a chance to gather your thoughts and just relax. If you're not too sure how to go about it, start off with 2 minutes. Then pick a time of day that you're able to get some time to yourself, I usually pick the nighttime because that's when I'm the most stressed. Then find a spot that you're comfortable in like your room, a park or maybe in your car, just a place where you can get some alone time to yourself. Then all you have to do is focus on your breathing, breath in and out and just count. This is a technique I learned in therapy and it really helps me right before I take a big exam but I use it all the time. 

Listen to music
This one is pretty self-explantory. Here are some bands that I listen to when I'm stressed: 

- City and Colour
-The Avett Brothers
- Best Coast
- Fleet Foxes
- The XX
- Moonlit Sailor
- Bon Iver
- Bombay Bicycle Club
- Coconut Records
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
- Feist
- Florence and the Machine
- Local Natives
- Of Monsters and Men
- Tegan and Sara

Make a to-do list
I find this helps when you have a lot of things on your mind that you need to do and you don't know where to start. My favorite part is being able to cross off each thing that I do so I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's also nice to reward yourself after you finish the list. TREAT YO' SELF. 

Do things that make you happy!
This is different for everyone because everyone has different interests and things that they enjoy. For me it includes baking, reading, going to the beach, shopping, going to the library and bookstores, crafting, and being with people who have a postive effect on my life. Doing things that give you joy make you feel good and help calm you down. 

Talk to your friends
Talking to people your friends about what you're going through is good because chances are, they are probably going through the same thing! It also helps because it brings you and that person closer together. 

Take a vacation
Now I'm not saying get on a plane and go somewhere far away, even though that sounds amazing, we all can't afford to do that. What I mean is take a break from your routine and go somewhere where you don't have to worry about anything. For me, it's the beach since it's only 10 minutes away and it's so relaxing. Getting some ice cream and reading on the beach sounds ideal to me. 

Whenever I'm worrying about something I always ask myself, "Will this matter in 5 years?" and the answer is usually no. Worrying is silly when you know you can't do anything about the situation. 

I hope this helped and I hope everyone has a great stress-free day!





I Miss You (Beyonce cover) by The xx on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment